Thursday, August 30, 2007

Goliath is just another Bear......

"this .... will be like one of them" (1 Sam 17:33-37)

I am in a battle. It is a battle for my heart, a battle for my mind, a battle for my faith and a battle for bigger things in God. I am at the point that to stay where I am and not grow would be tantamount to failure. This is a testing of my faith that will define the next season of my life.

Outwardly, there is not much going on, but on the inside there is a stubborn resistance to what the enemy would have me believe. There is a Goliath in my midst that taunts me night and day. He says that God is not big enough, or that God isn't willing to come through. The most damaging thing he says is "God helps those who help themselves" like somehow God's miraculous moving is dependant on me making things happen.

When I look back at my life, I see the amazng things that God has brought me through. He has changed me from who I was, saved me from my sin, healed an abused and broken heart and transformed my mind from a suicidal teen and replaced my mindset.

It is time that we as a people start reminding ourselves of all that God has brought us through. Not just saving us-although it was the most important moment, often it is the simplest moment- but those major battles that have changed our lives.

When David was going to fight Goliath, he told Saul about the battles he had fought against the bear and the lion he had killed. But then what he said next was so important... "this uncircumcised Phillistines will be like one of them". He understood in that moment that it is the same God.

Often when something comes against us, we dispair or we worry because we have never experienced anything like it before. I could say "sure God walked me through the divorce of my family, but this situation is completely different than that, is God still able?" It is easy to believe God for a financial breakthrough if you have experienced financial breakthroughs before, or healing if you have healing before. Often though, when something comes across our path, the likes of which we have never seen, our faith fails us because we forget.

David understood that though the details were different, God is still the same. He is still able, He is still in control and He is still invested in our lives.

Look today at whatever situation is in your life through the eyes of David and remember the battles you have already won, then tell the giants that you are facing....

"this .... will be like one of them" (1 Sam 17:33-37)

and take the victory that God has in store for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is exactly what i needed to hear this morning. thank you...

Donna said...

Oh Laura I understand. Those "Goliaths" are terrifying when we have not experienced a break through before in that area of life. I will be facing one of mine this weekend but in Christ it really is just another bear. Thank you Laura. Big e-hug.

Anonymous said...

I love you!