Monday, August 27, 2007

The Rustle of Wedding Dresses!




Every once in a while, our group of single girls comes down with a case of "Wedding Fever". Sometimes it is a mild case, sometimes an terminal illness! There will seem to be a 'rash' of conversations-pun intended- about weddings and what we as single women want. These converstations run the usual gammut from colours to styles, to type of wedding and sometimes honeymoons. It is a lot of fun to listen to grown women get all giggly about the dreams that they have had for so many years. You learn a lot about someone from the way they plan their 'dream wedding'.
Invitably, younger ones want the expensive wedding in the fancy hotel and expect thier parents to pay for it. They often imagine that they will marry rich and it will solve all of their problems. Then there is the slightly older single women who still wants a fancy wedding, but knows that the fairy tale comes with a hefty price tag so likely will limit the numbers of guest.... each age and stage of the single woman can often be characterized by the type of wedding she wants.
What else is very telling, is who they will have in thier bridal party. Some want just one or two close friends, others will want everyone who ever said hi to them because they don't want anyone to be left out!
There is something about weddings that turns women everywhere into little girls playing dress-up. I think that it takes us back to the time in our lives when nothing was impossible.
If you want to get to know how someone thinks, ask them to dream about something that is important to them and you will gain insight into their heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got big dreams but the only wedding I'm planning to dream about is yours!

Anonymous said...

Got married 18 years ago yesterday. But.......

I love to dream.

I always dream of my first home. Living in a small aprtment with 3 kids doesn't work.
But I can dream of the white shutters and the little garden huh?

Jenn said...

I LOVE weddings! Loved mine 19 years ago, love attending them still! And like you, beacause I am alwasy fascinated with people, I love seeing what they pick as colors, flowers, bridal party, dresses, etc. I am such a girl!

Jenn said...

Oops, made a typo - that is 10 years ago I was married! Must have been dreaming too much! Though I believe that 19 years of marriage will be nothing by the time I get there!