Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Joyce Meyers- Part 1


I have a bit of a confession to make. For some reason, I am often disappointed when women preach and they present "fluffy" messages that mainly are geared towards a demographic of women for whom a good banana bread is their biggest aspiration. I don't say that with any judgement, just that this type of message doesn't do it for me.

I had not heard Joyce Meyers nor looked inside any of her books so going into this service where she was preaching, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I was hoping that she wasn't 'one of those' women. Happily, this was one of my favourites! From the moment she opened her mouth, she had my attention. Here are my notes:


Her core thought is: Love and Value yourself because then and only then can you begin to love God and others.

  • God never asks us to give anything away that He hasn't already given us
  • You cannot get along with someone else if you cannot get along with yourself
  • What do I hate and despise but do it anyway because the enemy has convinced us that we need to be like someone else?-she talked about trying to grow vegetables because her neighbour was and she thought she "should"
  • Don't try to do something that somebody else is doing if God is not calling you to do it.
  • You have to be who you are: If I like me & I know God likes me, and I am doing what God is calling me to do & pouring into those God is calling me to pour into, then NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

1 John 4:8

  • The more you try to get what you want, the less likely you will get what you want, but when you are about blessing others, Blessings WILL CHASE YOU!
  • Everything with God is about the motive: the WHY behind the WHAT

Romans 14:12 -- Am I doing everything with the right motives?

  • You can't love anone else if you don't love yourself
  • There are a lot of little things that God does that we need to make a big deal about
  • Love is a decision about how we will or will not treat people- you have to do it on purpose

Mark 8:34- to 'deny himself' means to Lose sight of himself & his own interest

  • It should not be that a a Christian is discontent: this happens when we turn inward and not outward
  • Do at least one thing for someone else everyday: If you sow into people's lives you don't have to preach
  • If your heart is open to God, you will eventually end up doing what you are meant to do. It might not be immediately, but in the meantime you will have lots of training

The next portion needs more explanation... to be continued......


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's awesome.....

I watch her every morning before I go to work on t.v. I love her so much. Read one of her last book's the confident woman" You will be blown AWAY. Trust ME!

~Steph~ said...

Laura,

before going to see joyce meyer speak, i had the same expectations as you did. i honestly thought that she'd be a boring home-maker christian woman that would talk to us about banana bread (haha good example by the way). Anyways, i'm extremely glad that she excedent the expectations that i had... she was one of the most amazing speakers i have ever heard, no wonder so many people like her! Its weird how a lady in her 50s/60s could say so much that i could relate to in my own life, even though i'm a few decades younger. Anyways, i'm excited to see what else you have to write about the conference!

Evelyn said...

She is amazing. I have her Bible, a number of her books and tapes. She is very down to earth and regardless of whether you are a believer of not you can relate to what she is saying.