Thursday, March 08, 2007

Itching to move forward


As wonderful as resting points are in our lives there inevitably comes a point when we get bored. We look around and see that others have continued the climb and are calling down that the view is even better. I am beginning to experience a period of discontenment in my life, I feel as though what has been worked out in my life and heart, while amazing, has lost the lustre of new discovery.


I suppose that it would be easy to become like the Isrealites and complain and seem to forget what God has accomplished in me, but I have learned that this feeling is just the beginning of a process. It is that feeling that there must be more.This feeling leads us to discover that there is always more in God. Eventually, we find ourselves in a catalytic moment. Where an event or a decision will launch us into the next stage of the journey. I know that we have all felt this at some point. Ladies, I sometimes compare it to PMS. If you are not paying attention, those cranky days and the mood swings are confusing until 1 week later when the cause of the turmoil is remembered and suddenly the issues that loomed large the week before take on thier due perspective.


It is a sign of a maturing faith when we can see these "symptoms" early on and accept them for what they are... part of the process. Right now, in my life I have that uncomfortable feeling. That time when what was stable and peaceful has become boring. The natural response to this feeling is to begin change. To set up new ideas and guidlines for our lives. "I am going to get up and spend time in the word." or many other statements that begin with "Tomorrow I'm gonna...". Some of us go shopping, change our hair or any other natural action to change where we are to where we think we need to be. The problem though is too often this change is temporary and relies on our feelings. When that happens we lose hope and we question God and our own ability to hear His voice.

I have come to realize that the reason I fail in those moments is because I haven't waited for the timing of God. More on that later.

What action do you take when you feel like your life has plateaued?

No comments: