Monday, March 12, 2007

Different thinking on the Mountainside

In the midst of a process of change in our lives there are often heart issues that need resolution before we can begin to address the behaviours. In other circumstances, there is not only a heart issue but also a situation where a change in your thinking needs to take place. Often times, I have found that this is the hardest step of all. It is the part of the process that trips up great people and keeps them going around and around the mountain of their walk. I have revisted the same situations and patterns repeatedly because I didn't rely on God to change my thinking.

I am passionate about learning from great leaders. I love it when you get a glimpse of the thought process behind an action. I suppose that is why Blogging is such an amazing tool. Reading as Lori , Tracy, Tim Sanders or Jason share about the process they are going through, I feel like they have opened a door and let us see inside their hearts and minds. There is so much power in the way that we think. I have watched in amazement as my own plans and dreams and desires fall underfoot when exposed to the harsh realities of my own insecurities and fears. The scripture "as a man thinks in his heart, so he is" is so true! I have had so many life changing ideas, strategies and plans that in the light of day fade to impossibility because I allow my thoughts to derail me.

When change is on the horizon of my life, I am trying to learn a better way. I have found it helpful to think ahead and begining to try to anticipate how I will react in my spirit and mind. Last summer 2 ladies I know ran a marathon. As they talked me through what it was like, I realized that they had done their mental homework. One talked of bringing earphones and music because she knew that there would be monotonous miles of pavement, and she knew that if they talked the whole time it would drain their energy. They had put thought into the obstacles that they might encounter on the way. We also this anytime that we travel, we think ahead and look for possible situations and try to take steps to meet those situations head on.

Often as I watch an athlete take the field (or ice), or when I see an actor accept a major award, I begin to try and imagine what that feels like to achieve a major dream. What does the hockey player think when his name is announced for the first time during an NHL game? Does he remember all the summer afternoons playing ball hockey, in his mind defeating his role models?
I know that there must be something different in the way that they think, because otherwise greatness would not be theirs.

I have begun to implement this idea into major life changes. Ultimately God sees us through and leads us and guides us, however, I think that it greatly increases our chances for success if we try to anticipate the challenges we will face, and then set up a guard of prayer around those moments. Trouble is inevitable and challenge will always be a part of our walk. However, I believe that we can be one step ahead and pray through these situations rather than allow them to catch us offguard.

Is there a mountain you have revisited many times?

1 comment:

Donna said...

Oh more than you can ever imagine Laura and still climbing. But with Christ the view becomes amazing even during the times that I am hanging on for dear life.

Signed: Everest Again