Monday, January 01, 2007

Exercising my Perogative


There is a phrase that says "It is a woman's perogative to change her mind"- heard first from my mother. Today I would like to exercise my right to do so today.

My last post (read it) said that I was resolving not to make any resolutions. However, God has once again stepped in and moved something around in my heart and life!! I am so glad that He did, but it necessitates a new direction.

Saturday night I had a night out with a pair fabulous women. We chatted-as women are wont to do- about a variety of subjects. The book Captivating is close to all of our hearts because we have all recently gone through it with our life groups- if you havn't read it.... take the opportunity, I promise it will change your life. We discussed a number of aspects of the book and our New Years Resolutions. The part of the book that hits me each time I read it, I the part about feeling like too much and too little at the same time. It is because of the insights gained from the book that much of the clutter of "should do" has been removed and I am taking a realistic approach to what can and cannot be accomplished- and influenced my previous resolutions.

It is an amazing book that allows you to realize how "Captivated" God is by YOU. Not what you do or not in spite of what you don't do.... HE is CAPTIVATED by YOU, period, end of though....


As I drove home that night, I know that one of the ladies was praying for me (because she told me!) and as I drove and prayed and cried a little about what we had shared, an amazing peace came over me. The hurting that I felt was calmed and the peace turned to thanksgiving.... for who God is and what He has done.

And then it came to me...... I want to become CAPTIVATED by GOD!!!

Instead of seeking His will and purpose, His direction and His teaching.... I am going to seek HIM.

I began to thing about what happens when something- or someone- captivates your attention. I wondered if that can be purposefully nurtured into captivation. Indeed it can. If you think of something or someone who captivates you, go back to the very beginnings of that relationship. Something caught your eye and heart initially and then you seek out opportunities not only to be with that person but to learn more about them. Your radar goes up and is acutely aware of everything that is even remotely related to that subject or person.

That is my plan also.... be on the lookout and search out WHO God is.

The fun part is that since we can only love God because He FIRST loved us, I know that HE will find opportunities to jump out of the perverbial bushes and show Himself to me in new ways-in fact on Sunday, one of the scriptures Jay preached on was "seek first the kingdom"- what better way to get a glimpse of the kingdom that to get to know the KING.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Laura:

I am right there with you sister in seeking Him first!

Happy New Year.

Peace and blessings I pray to you in Jesus' Holy name:

Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi, Girl. Just caught up on your blog, and loved it, as usual. How nice to know those ladies of Saturday night so well! :)

You ARE a captivating person, inside and out, and I have so many thoughts for you this year, all not right for a comment post. Know that you are so loved and truly appreciated. Congratulations on 40 posts and then some!

I also resolve to read blogs more. :)

Nicolle

Trayce said...

I am all caught up too now. I took a break from reading peoples' blogs and updating my own.

I have never read that book, but I'm thinking that I should.