Saturday, November 17, 2007

Immeasurably More

Ephesians 3:20
20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,

I got a funny object lesson this weekend that I felt like was a little reminder of how God, in His amazing wisdom, works. Contrast 2 situations and plans that I made for the weekend.

Friday's Plans: a blanket email went out early in the week hoping to get the crowd together for dinner and a movie. As the week progressed, no responses, in fact, some miscommunication. Friday night came, and the only one who had said they were coming bailed on me.

Saturday's Plans: A worship concert downtown, tickets purchased in advance, plans with the girls to just go and worship God. All is set and settled, then Friday night one of the girls called and said that she had tickets to BON JOVI!!!

I would never have bought tickets to Bon Jovi because, while I enjoy the music and I think he is a handsome dude, I really am not a fan of concerts. They are not an activity that I normally pursue. Some people love them, not me. So we debated- honestly I was fighting the "religiosity" that would say why are you giving up Worship tickets for Rock tickets, but that is a conversation for another day!- and finally decided that Free tickets to this concert would be too good to pass up. There are a few bands that you just go to say you went.......

We very quickly got excited about this idea!! So plans changed and all is well. In the back of my head was the thought "I wonder who is opening?".... well, I found out later it was Hedley!!! Again, another band that I don't pursue their music but always enjoy. I have long thought, I bet that would be a good concert!!!

So, we get the Iconic music of Bon Jovi, and I get an unspoken desire of heart fulfilled!!

On Thursday, I didn't even know that I would like to see Bon Jovi! Now I can't wait. And all of this fell into our laps, we were just being happy to worship Jesus..... do you see where this is going? I am sure that you can. There was a whisper in my heart that said, "see I can bring good things to your door, and it will exceed your imaginings!" I know that God can use ALL circumstances in our lives to teach us things.

We are inundated with messages about the best way to go about finding love. Amazingly enough the advice I often get from my Christian friends is the same as my non-christian friends.... things like "You gotta get out there" or "it's a numbers game" or "how will you know what you want unless you play the field?", or my personal favourite "you can't expect God to send them knocking on your door, do you?" with the exception of the question of sex, the advice is doesn't differ that much from a Christian and non-Christian approach. But the truth is, I DO expect that when the time is right, God WILL send the right person, and if they need to knock on my door, then that is what is going to happen! My 'game plan' is this to be busy about the work of the Lord.

I have never understood or bought into the whole 'dating game' . It seems like a dumb way to find someone. I think that it is much better to go about things God's way! The scripture DOESN'T say : spend most of your time seeking God, but save time for searching for Mr. Right. It says Seek first... and all these things will be ADDED!! To me, that means they will be brought to me.. in the time and in the method that God has chosen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your thoughts on dating. God CAN do immeasurably more than we know or can imagine. It's not as if you're not "out there" already. It's not as if you're a hermit. You're out there enough for God to put anyone in your path and that includes a possible knock on the door. He's become my main focus over the last year and I'm telling you, I rarely get lonely. Oops gotta go, someone's knocking. Ya right.