Thursday, September 20, 2007

Modesty

In this process I have been on of losing weight, I have access to clothing and an appreciation for how I look that didn't exist before. For the last few months, I have felt better about how I look than at any other point in my life.

With this comes a lot of attention. Sometimes the attention is an appreciative glance from a stranger, often it is a comment about how much I have lost, but by far the most comments I have recieved have come from the girls around me who have known me for a time. Their comments often have the "You WORK IT, girl!" tone to them. Now, don't misunderstand me..... I LOVE the comments. I love it when my hard work is noticed. However, it has brought to mind some interesting thoughts about what and why I choose to wear what I do.

It is natural to want to feel like we look good. It is natural to see an appreciative glance from someone. That is built into us. The problem can come when we wear certain clothes to attract attention or to fill a need in our own lives.

I find that somedays when I am needing a little lift in how I am feeling, and I choose something that will provide that from others. I recall one day this summer when I was dressed up for an event and feeling 'sexy', my friends noticed, and my response was "I want to get hit on today".

I specifically recall this moment because it was at the beginning of a journey that I have been on for about 4 months. I see that in that moment, I was looking for external appreciation. Since then, I have thought often about the WHY behind the clothes that I choose.

This realization made me make some specific choices this summer. There was a certain pair of capris that I really liked wearing. I liked the way I felt like I looked in them, and I got a lot of compliments when I wore them. One Sunday morning, I was standing up at the front of the church worshipping, when I had this feeling like everyone could see right through my pants. I felt like I had a neon arrow pointing to my rearend. I was very self-concious about it.

I realized that this particular outfit made me feel more 'sexy' than beautiful. And I knew at the core of who I am, that 'sexy' is not what I want to be- nor is it kind to the men around me trying to live thier lives in purity. I decided then and there, that I would no longer wear those particular capris to church. And I actually only wore them once or twice more that season, and always with the feeling like I was compromising something of my purity by doing so. There is nothing wrong with capris or even white capris (which these happen to be), rather, as is almost always the case with God, it was the intent of the heart that was the problem.

Is there anything that others might find unusual that you do-or don't do- for modesty's sake?
Check out a very interesting survey on modesty here.



3 comments:

Tameshia said...

Congrats on your weight loss.

I have noticed over the last year that God has really been speaking to me regarding how I dress and modesty. Being on the smaller end "plus size", I recognize that V-neck tops are flattering and all the rage at Lane Bryant. However, I have also noticed that they draw a lot of attention to my breasts.

I found myself being more cautious about what I have worn this summer. I didn't do a lot of shopping this summer and had to wear a lot my clothes from last year. Lots of cleavage. Lots of bare arms/spaghetti straps. Lots of leg. I scrutinized much of what I wore, and found that a lot of those outfits couldn't be worn to church (of course), but also to a lot of parties, and festivals, and game nights with friends from church. So, I had to buy some safe outfits that got a lot of wear this summer!

Funny how when God gets hold of your heart, your eyes, your perspective changes too!

Anonymous said...

Laura, enjoying attention is not wrong. It's affirmation and encouragement. It's when we can't live without it, when we live for it and it all depends on the type of attention.

I find I try to be trendy but modest. The low cut shirts really make me uncomfortable so I shy away from them. That has a lot to do with the sexual abuse and the leers I got. In my head I try to neutralize these thoughts by telling myself I would have been abused regardless of what I was wearing.
It's too bad we question ourselves and our motives so much.
But darling, YOU LOOK MAHVAHLOUS ... and you always did.

Anonymous said...

It's a HUGE issue... we are way to focussed on the external in our culture...

I have had some very interesting discussions about modesty...