Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An Interesting Phenomenon

This blogging thing is a strange hobby!

Some days blogs come easy, sometimes it is hard. I was chatting this weekend with some of the other ladies I know who also blog, and we were comparing notes.

I have found, after almost a year of blogging, that when things are going well, I find it difficult to put together something interesting to write about. I have discovered about myself, that I process difficulty by communicating. I write, or talk, or pray, or just reach out. I have to process out loud. Sometimes that means that those around me find me in that crazy place of needing to talk about something, but not really being able to communicate it effectively. The reality is that these times are amazing for 'material' to blog about. However, in this process, I have learned to delay blogging about these issues in real-time because it is too raw.

On the other hand, one of the other ladies finds that she cannot blog when she is in the midst of the struggle. She needs to sort it out and then can share the end result. I love to read her thoughts and her perspectives because she always writes from a place of victory.

There are times when I wish that I was an internal processor; but I have come to learn, that when I communicate in the midst, it not only helps me get to the end, but it helps others.

Sometimes at the end of a battle, it is hard to go back and unpack those raw emotions, feelings and experiences because we see the victory. If you ask a new mom to describe the feelings before she started labour, she might not remember the small details because she is distracted by the miracle in her arms.

How do you 'process'? Are you and internal thinker, or do you chat your way to break though?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I'm a bit of both; I guess it depends on the significance of what's being processed. Generally speaking, I think and think. I talk a lot to God. The more important the subject, the more likely I'll go to Him first and allow Him to work me through it. For little day to day stuff, I still go to Him but I also like to be authentic with others and this is a good opportunity to share. My big blunders I share once I have the perspective that will bring hope to others if they go through it too.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I'm a thinker and a dreamer. When I am in the midst of a struggle I do neither. Somedays I struggle with having pity parties. I find now that I am older. The Jesus has this already taken over, so I look for the next victory. Than I celebrate by sharing. But... there are times where dreaming is alot safer. Weird to think about this morning. Today, I am not in a struggle, just very overwhelmed and busy, my heart is right with God, but I am still dreaming of tomorrow. hmmmm...

Tameshia said...

I'm fairly new to your blog, and I really enjoy it.

I have been blogging for about 6 years in different places/identities. I am very much an external processor, but I find with my blog, when I am going through a difficult time, I don't blog about it. And since a big part of blogging (for me) is to build community with "kindred spirits", I feel guilty for not doing so. I'm not being authentic, or transparent, and am wearing a mask.

But, I try not to beat myself up about that too much. In all things there is a balance. And in blogging, one must find the balance in what parts of life you expose or not to provide a "true" representation of oneself.

http://thisquietlife.vox.com

Evelyn said...

Laura, like Hope I'm a bit of both but mostly, I process things internally then I go to others and discuss what I was struggling with and what I feel I should do. I think I do this as a confirmation that the end result is of God and not something I want to do. One thing I've learnt over the past few years is to write things down so that after the struggle is over I can look back and the victory is so much sweeter.

Jenn said...

Well, wish I was more of an internal processor like many of you. Unfortunately, I often start speaking before thinking. My emotions are on my sleeve most of the time, though through maturity (and parenting!), I am learning this is not always good - btu then I am still a big fan of transparency.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm what inspired this? :) I am an internal processor BIG TIME... When I am with people I become distracted and engrossed with them and I don't dwell on my problems... but when I am alone I think and think and think and pray... and when I feel I can make sense of my struggle I will start to talk about it... then when I get the slap upside the head... you know the "HELLO MCFLY" knock on the head from the Lord saying I have had your answer all the time... I write and write and write and write...

I love to write and I love to dream and when I am doing well... my writing and dreams are never ending... I am doing well right now... But not so much all summer... that's why the blog was so quiet...

I loved everyones comments here... The funny thing is none of us will come back and read them all...

maybe you should post something saying read the comments on this post they are very interesting... I am in a weird mood... I had alot... I mean ALOT of sugar tonight... :)