Monday, October 16, 2006

When's the Wedding?

Today we travel back in time. I came across something I wrote a couple of years ago. It is interesting that while the circumstance is not recent, the experience is the same! Enjoy!

I recently attended the happy occasion of a Bridal shower for a friend. I will admit that at this stage in my life another wedding shower would not have been my Saturday Night of choice. I say that for a number of reasons. Not the least of which that it was not a wedding shower in MY honour! (As a side note, I am keeping a list of all the people I buy wedding/ shower gifts for and I am going to invite them to my wedding! At this rate, I will be able to furnish my home, the cottage and buy the BMW that I have always wanted!) It is not that I am not happy for the bride; in fact, I love to see people find the one that they are meant to spend the rest of their lives with. Mostly, I don’t enjoy bridal showers for 2 reasons. I am not a big fan of big parties and the second is because I can guarantee that without exception, as I am reaching over the vegetable dip to get to the brownies, a wonderful God-fearing, kind, loving woman will turn to me and ask “so Laura, when do we all get to throw a party like this for you?” Now, depending on the weather, phase of the moon – and time of the month- I have differing answers ranging from: a tightlipped fake smile that hide the tears brimming in my eyes to something witty about when God finished keeping me all to himself! Occasionally, on a bad day I might say something like “Oh I guess when I have taken care of all the sin in my life!” Over the years, I have forced myself to extend grace to all of those women, I know that they love me and they know that getting married is a deep desire of my heart; it doesn’t make the comments hurt less.

Even while I am defending my single hood and trying to get people to look past it to who I am. The arguments that I make ring a little hollow because I would give my right arm to be married. I realize that since I am right handed that would be a problem, however, if I give up my LEFT hand, where would I put the diamond??

As a single person, some of my loneliest moments are not what you would think. Friday night alone with a movie has sadly become one of the routines that I look forward to. I am no longer lonely in those moments. The loneliest moments always catch me off guard. Just today, I had a situation with my car. It wouldn’t start. This was not a problem-I have been there before. I called CAA and had them tow my car to the dealership. Through this all, I was fine until I was standing there, needing to make a decision about 2 courses of action. Neither way would have been the “ideal” and I realized standing right there that I didn’t know what to do. Worse than that, I needed someone who I trusted to help me.

I did what most single girls do when there is a car question, I called my dad-but there was no answer. I hung up feeling more alone than I have felt in a long time. I scrolled through my cell phone’s list of numbers blinking back tears and trying not to look like “a girl”. I finally got in touch with one of my “guys” and we figured out what needed to be done. I was reminded of one of the reasons I so much want to get married. You realize that no matter how content in life, we always need people.

A note about “my guys”: I am privileged to have around me a few great Men who I call on occasionally. The most important one is, of course my father, car problems, house repair, moving van driving I call on him. In medical emergencies, car accidents, heavy lifting or car shopping no one is better than my big brother. Then I have the best friend’s husband who is good for a bear hug, guy advice, flirtation interpretation, or a living example of what it means to be a man of God. And of course, there is the “safe date”: This is the great guy that you often think “If only…” but you know that a relationship would never work. I highly recommend one with a decent job and who looks good dressed up and in a ball cap. This is the kind of guy that you can meet for coffee dressed in track pants and a ball cap, or who will spring for a GREAT evening for your birthday!

It seems that I am most lonely when I am out of my comfort zone and I need advice, assistance, or help from a trusted source. When it would be helpful to have someone there who knows the history of the situation and with whose decision-making skills I am already familiar and comfortable. Sometimes, I just want to be the one who gets to be taken care of, who gets to do the leaning. As one who stands almost 6 feet tall, and who has always carried myself with strength and confidence, I often find that people around me rely and lean on me-which I love, it makes me feel needed But many times there is no one for me to lean on. Through all of this, the easy church answer is that all that we need is in JESUS. My answer to that is Yes….BUT.

Many times, I have wondered about my faith. After all that God has brought me through, how can I still be in need of anything? So many times singles beat themselves up for even wanting to get married. I can’t count the number of times that I have been told or made to feel, that the reason that I am not married is because I still have not put my whole faith and hope in Jesus, and that I look for things and people outside of Him.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t have the answer to that one. I know that in the deepest parts of me, I want Jesus to be everything to me. I feel like my relationship can go deeper, and there are those whom God has sustained who don’t need anything else. I also know that God made me who I am. In His infinite wisdom and love, He fashioned me into who I am. He wired me to love children and to desire to share my life with another. These are all things that He has created. I also know that He has a plan and a purpose for my life and that every day in written in His book.

Nothing that I do is a surprise to God. Nothing that you do catches Him off guard. He knows that we all have bad days and good. My biggest prayer over the last 10+ years, is this: God if it is not in your plan for me to marry, PLEASE take the desire away so that I can devote my life to serving you.

I continue to wait for God’s perfect timing. I heard Terry Bone say: “God is never late, but he doesn’t take too many opportunities to be early!”

4 comments:

Trayce said...

Laura that was such a beautiful and heart felt post. I know there are many women who feel as you feel. I completely believe that God puts desires in us for a good reason and not to tease us. He knows your heart's desire and like you said, continue to wait for God's perfect timing. It will all come together in his most perfect timing one day. You are truly a beautiful and precious woman of God. I see you as a gem - hidden until the most perfect moment. I don't know you that well, but it's hard not to notice this strength about you - like you said, a woman that people lean on.
I love reading your blogs...everyday I look forward to reading them. You are so honest and vulnerable, and I really love and respect that about you. It can be scary, but it's nice when you give people the opportunity to see things through your eyes - to make yourself vulnerable. You are a very independent woman, and I know you that you sort of have to be, but it's nice to hear that you need people to take care of you sometimes, that you would also like someone to lean on. I am believing that with you.

Thanks for sharing your heart, Laura.

Love,
Tracy

Laura said...

thanks so much for the great comments! It is nice to know that what i am writing is making a difference

Carrie said...

Laura,
I remember the days of being the one at the bridal showers, baby showers, etc and still single. I remember feeling so alone and frustrated-wondering what was wrong with me because all of my friends were getting married. I kept praying and asking God to bring the right guy along my path and SOON! I made a list of characteristics I wanted in a husband and kept them on a piece of paper. God answered my prayer...not in my timing though.
You are a woman who trusts in the Lord and is faithful to Him. He has the perfect partner for you and will bring him to you in His perfect timing. He will be your Prince Charming and I cannot wait to see you when you meet him. I will be praying that God speeds up the process a bit : )
Love,
Carrie

Trayce said...

I agree with what Carrie wrote. I really don't get God's timing...but it really is so perfect. We sometimes only realize or see that in retrospect.

I also made a big list of everything I wanted in a husband. I had 21 or 22 characteristics on my list. I was very picky and didn't want to settle for just second best. I even remember writing something about wanting a man who liked to massage and tickle my feet - and someone who was sensitive to my PMS and cramps. My list was really detailed, he-he.

I didn't realize until quite a while after Aerie & I got married (as he refined us), that he is everything on my list...AND MORE! God even added a few things that I didn't know I needed in a husband.

Aerie and I are far from perfect and we struggle in the same ways that every other couple struggles, but we are PERFECT for each other - hand picked by God.

I am believing that for you, Laura. God knows your heart and your desires and He loves you so much.

You're an incredible woman on your own. God has molded you into a beautiful and sturdy masterpiece. You are going to make a wonderful wife one day & on that day, all of your family and friends will be celebrating with you!!!

Oh I'm getting so excited for you talking about this.

Love ya!

Trace