Monday, December 10, 2007

Thoughts on Mercy

1 Samuel 12:20-25 (English Standard Version)
20And Samuel said to the people, "Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart. 21And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. 22For the LORD will not forsake his people, for his great name’s sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you a people for himself. 23Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. 24 Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. 25But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king."


What an amazing example of the mercy of God. In the middle of hearing directly from the Lord, the Israelites disobey, and what does God do? He says… you don’t have to perfect to come to me and be my people. Obviously, we need to strive to do what is right, however, God knows that we are going to fail and fall. Sometimes, even our most earnest intentions to do good for God, can lead us astray. In this, Samuel promises to continue to pray for the people of God, he takes upon himself the responsibility to instruct the people of God.

As a person who still has a lot to learn about the things of God, it is nice to know that not only does God not write me off every time I make a dumb decision, but also, He provides for me teachers who will look beyond what they see, to see what God has called them to.

I have been the recipient of so much good teaching, amazing people, mentors, parents, and friends further along in this life, who see my growth and success as something that they are called to invest in. I don’t take their guidance lightly, in fact, I am deeply humbled when someone takes time to guide me.

It becomes then, my turn to pour into those coming up behind. I take on as my responsibility their growth, and their best. How amazing is God, that we don’t need to have everything figured out, in order to be used by Him. We can, simultaneously be both teacher and student.

No comments: