Thursday, December 13, 2007

Like Arsenic


Tonight, I was watching the movie "Amazing Grace" about the British Parliamentarian who worked hard to abolish the slave trade. There was one scene that really caught my heart. Early on in the movie, one of the characters staked a slave in a poker game. Wilberforce was disgusted and walked away from the money he had played already, refusing to be party to such conduct.

As he stepped outside, one of his friends followed and asked about his reaction saying "you've seen slavery before" and Wilberforce's response was "yes, but like arsenic every small dose doubles the effect".

My immediate thought was, "OH God, make that true in my life, that every small dose of something that is repugnant in Your sight has double the negative on my life each time I encounter it."

If we had that response, it wouldn't take long before we stand up and fight for that which is reprehensible to God. I would deal much more ruthlessly with the sin in my life. I want the sin in my heart, and the poor choices I make, to cause illness in my soul, so that there would come a change. It is only when we truly experience sin's stench that we cut it out of our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I want the sin in my heart, and the poor choices I make, to cause illness in my soul, so that there would come a change."

OUCH!!! What a way with words... If we would truly experience the truth of our sin, we would be sickened. I'm going to have to think on whether or not I take the equivalent antacids to dull the discomfort of my sin when I should just stop creating it.

Love it. Thanks Laura, you have blessed me this evening

Gary