Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thankful

This thanksgiving, I made a turkey for the first time. I also hosted dinner, and had all the people around me who were 'short on family' over to my house. We laughed and ate, and everyone contributed something to the meal.

At the end of it all, when most of the dishes were done -thanks to my amazing roommate- and the furniture back in place, I finally sat down. I was bone tired, mostly just from being on my feet all day. Yes I was tired, but only physically, in my heart I felt so filled up. To know that people had enjoyed themselves and that they had a good meal, and took home some leftovers.... what a feeling!!

I have discovered that I love to entertain. I am always so honoured when people choose to come to my home. I love it when they feel at home!

My home is a busy one, with 2 roommates and a plethora of friends who do crazy things like drop by to watch prison break on the way home from a course. Or this story:I was in the bath last week and I heard my very good friend Amanda's voice outside the bathroom door. She had knocked on the front door and come in. Thinking I was in the shower, she installed herself on my couch and waited. When she realized I was going to be in the tub longer than she thought (I was settling in for a LONG soak) she came up and let me know she was there!! LOVE IT! It turns out that while she was waiting for me on my couch, my other roommate came up the stairs (they have never met) and said Hi and continued on his way. You know you have a busy house, when the presence of a stranger on the couch doesn't raise ANY red flags!

I am constantly reminded that in my singleness, there are opportunities everyday to serve those around me, and that as I intentionally pour out my time and talents to others, that is where I am most fulfilled, and content.

For that I am thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I have to come over there and teach you about locking doors???? Don't make us worry. When taking a bath always lock your door, even if someone else is there. Oy! I just got another gray hair. I'll name that one Laura. I'm glad you had a great time for Thanksgiving! You are a hostess indeed. I had both my boys with me. We did the unthinkable and had roast beef.

Anonymous said...

YAY! i made it on the blog!! hahah... it feels like getting your name mentioned in the newspaper or something! heheh MWAH!