Friday, October 05, 2007

A Strange Conversation

Yesterday, just after reading this, I went off to the grocery store with it still in my mind.


As I was reading a magazine in the checkout, one of the guys from my old job stopped me and we got chatting. He is a new dad for the second time, and we talked about that. At one point in the conversation he said "So, I heard you had a big one!" I was TOTALLY confused, and asked him to clarify. He thought that I had a BABY! I corrected him, assumed that he thought I was someone else (we were never really that close), and updated him on what I am doing now. We had a nice chat and then parted ways.


Now, the reality is I was ushered out of my old job somewhat suddenly for reasons that still defy logic. Suffice it to say that I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone. All he knows is that one day I was there, the next I wasn't.


As is often the case when someone makes a surprising comment, I began to outline in my mind why he might have thought that. The obvious is that he mistook me for another lady who did have a baby.


I began to wonder what in my weight before I left would have made him think that. But then I realized that if he thought that I just had a baby his initial reaction was that I probably looked REALLY great for just having given birth!!! At that point I had to stop myself from going down a dangerous path in my mind-it caught me so off guard. This is definitely a weak area in my life where I have to be careful not to spend any energy taking things personally!


In light of everything else going on and sometimes feeling like everyone just sees me as "the single girl", I choose to just enjoy the fact that there are those who just assume that I am 'marriage and mother' material.

Do you have a weak area that you have to protect lest you read into every comment?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find that people are often explaining things to me as if I'm a child. I wonder if they think I'm stupid sometimes. I used to, and I stress the words 'used to' have a boyfriend who continuously told me I had a simple mind. Maybe I did because I thought it was a compliment meaning that I didn't get bogged down with stuff. Then someone EXPLAINED it to me. When I notice people trying to explain things to me I tend to get defensive and keep saying 'yeah, I get it' (even when I don't).