Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Scheduled Cry

There has been a lot going on recently. Very emotional stuff, and I am being stretched, and my faith is being enlarged. Prayers are being answered and God is good. There are days though, I have to fight the urge to crawl onto the couch, hiding away in my sweats and eat sweets, and there are days when I have reached the end of my ability to fight.

It used to be when I had so much going on, that I wouldn't allow myself to stop. I was afraid that if I stopped and FELT what was going on, I wouldn't have the ability to stop the dam from breaking.

The other day, though, I had a jam-packed day. All day out, an unexpected visit to the car dealership for expensive repairs, then coffee with a friend and an evening obligation. Through it all, I was feeling more and more like I just needed a good cry!

So, in the 45 minute gap between the dealership and coffee, I went home, and scheduled half an hour to cry!! I prayed and wept, and journalled, and then when my time was up, I wiped my eyes, brushed my teeth and off I went to the next thing.

That moment in time, when I allowed myself to feel what I was feeling, and then turn it over to the Lord, gave me the strength I needed to make it through- in fact, I felt refreshed!

Isaiah 40:28-31
28Have you not known? Have you not heard?The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
29He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.
30Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted;
31but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles;they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Do you ever schedule a time to just cry???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am such a big suck that my tears don't work according to my schedule. I used to schedule time to worry, it kept me more productive during the rest of the day. Now, I hardly ever worry - hardly. Cry?? When am I not crying?? If you need someone to cry with, give me a call.

Anonymous said...

uhm..... weep-a-thon? heheh

Jenn said...

Oh, yes, I cry all of the time. My husband frequently hears me say "I just need to cry." There is this movie from the 80's (showing my age) called Broadcast News with Holly Hunter. The character she played would have a time each day that she would go into her office, shut the door, put the phone off the hook, cry for about 2 minutes, then dry her eyes, hang up the phone and open the door! Love that!

But I am sorry you had such a long, hard day.

Evelyn said...

I never really looked at it as scheduling crying but there are times when I feel the need for a good cry and I would go sit in the shower and cry so no one can hear me. I don't give in to this too much though because, when I cry, it wipes me out and I have to go to sleep.

Anonymous said...

i tend to keep myself and my mind so busy that i don't "have time" to really think and feel... thanks for the reminder of how unhealthy that really is.