Thursday, October 18, 2007

Purity

I came across an interesting passage today about purity. In my desire to continually be course correcting my day to day walk, I have recently been thinking and reading a lot about purity. Although sexual purity has been a lot of the thought process, it is also good to remember that purity covers a gamut of topics: our motives, our heart, our thoughts as well as our actions.

Physical purity has not been a big struggle in my life and I am grateful for that. But that doesn't mean that I haven't had to struggle in other areas. I suppose that most women know the battle that goes on in the mind to keep those thoughts on the straight and narrow, to ensure that the thoughts of a friend maintain the 'friendship' status in your head.

Another idea that has been dominating my heart lately is this idea that Disciples Serve. Pastor Jason did an amazing job of explaining our responsibilities as Disciples with the sermon found here called Disciple: Washes Feet. This idea that we have all heard 1000 times was simply presented in such a way that it changed my life and I have been seeking new opportunities to serve ever since,

So what does service have to do with Purity?? I am glad you asked....

1 Thessalonians 4:4-6 says:

4that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. (ESV emphasis mine)

For the most part, I have been thinking about Purity in terms of the benefits to me, but as with everything with God, it isn't about ME, it is about serving one another!! The kindest thing that I can do for the men around me, is to live a life of purity. The kindest thing that I can do for the women around me is to live a life of purity. In looking out for my brothers and sisters in Christ, I am able to honour God AND protect my own heart... that sounds like a pretty good deal!!

No comments: