Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's day!!!!

Today it is my prayer that each of you has someone who will tell you that you are the most important person in thier life. It is so much fun to watch others get all excited!!

Interestingly, this Valentine's day has not been a problem. In other years I have been miserable that I didn't have someone to lavish me with gifts. I have not had a Valentine since I was about 16- it just happens that way!

Today it occurred to me that I look at Valentine's Day like a holiday for a religion that I don't practice. I know it sounds odd but follow me here. During the Holidays occasionally I hear a "happy Hannukah", I am not saddened that I don't celebrate, nor am I offended that they included me in their good wishes, rather, I love to see people who are excited and waiting for a good thing to come.

I would be lying to you if I told you that I never want to be lavished with love on Valentine's day, or that at some point it would be great to have absurdly expensive flowers delivered to my desk making everyone jealous. For now though, I am happy to celebrate others' love!

Just feeling this way is a complete breakthrough, and an amazing testimony to God's healing and working in my life - that and I got an email from my Daddy saying he was thinking about me today!

4 comments:

Me said...

I usually get something from my Daddy too. Once a Daddy's Girl always a Daddy's Girl.

Trayce said...

My dad doesn't "believe" in Valentine's Day. He feels the same way about Mother's Day, Father's Day... Just another way that you are sucked into buying MORE. I think he feels like everyday should be celebrated - all those other days are gimmicks. But anyway, enough about my daddy :) (I have the BEST daddy in the world by the way)...I feel like I'm in grade school "my daddy is better than yours!" lol

Ok, so Laura - I think that is an incredible breakthrough. Like really, really incredible. It shows a lot of growth.

I see Valentine's Day as a day to show everyone how much they are loved...not necessarily our spouses or boyfriends. Being married I know that it's easier for me to say that. If I were not married, maybe I'd view it as a "couples" day, I don't know. All I know is that you are totally awesome, Laura! And one day you will have your earth rocking Valentine's Day with the man of your dreams!!!

Anonymous said...

Earth-Rocking????? WOW I am looking forward to that! :-)

Laura

Donna said...

Well Laura:

I have been battling a virus all this week and I had to go to bed at about 7:30 last night. Even if I had stayed up to spend some nice time with Rick it would not have been very romantic with my sniffling, sneezing, coughing, watery red eyes and nose and well you get the picture not very appealling to say the least. I will have to make it up to Rick when I am well again. I am glad you have Peace about the day. I know you will have many Valentine's Days with that special someone someday.

Grace and Peace I pray to you in Jesus' name:

Donna