Thursday, February 08, 2007







There is a saying that in our 20's we are learning, in our 30's we acquire, ... I don't recall the other ones, until we get to the 50's & 60's, that is when, the saying goes, we begin to think about our legacy.





In the midst of this acquisition period of my life, I am constantly struck by legacies and the impact of an amazing life lived.
Sport is particularly good about celebrating legacies. Many times when I am in sitting in a sports arena I think of what those players think of as they step onto a the ice or field for the first time. I think about the little boys that became the men who get to live their dreams.
On Friday, I was at the Ottawa 67's game when they celebrated the coach's 2000th game. There were video tributes, and some of the Alumni from the first team that he coached. The picture you see above is the coach, Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, and some other dignitaries, and the captains from the 2 teams participating in the Ceremonial Puck Drop.
During all of the video tributes, the recurring message had very little to do with Hockey, and everything to do with molding young kids into quality adults. There was a passing mention of those who had gone on to play in the NHL, and extended coverage about alumni who had become pillars of the Ottawa community.
If we are to believe the media and the general population you would think that no one is concerned about anything but the best for them. I wonder what would happen if we raised our children to think of their legacy. I suppose we would have to TREAT them as if they carried a legacy. But in their lives.. What would that mean?
Perhaps sales of the Girls Gone Wild video series would drop off because there were no girls willing to flash for a t-shirt and dubious fame. Perhaps young men would look after their sisters and treat their girlfriends better. Perhaps they wouldn't do stupid things that teenagers do.
How would YOUR life be different? What would you pursue in order to define your legacy?
For me, I want the story of my life to be centered around a generosity that was defined by how I shared the gospel.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I believe you are going to leave a Christ like legacy Laura!

Me said...

Laura,
It's true that as long as there are people willing to do things like flash for a t-shirt, or work in strip clubs, or sell drugs....there will be people willing to engage in it. Your legacy will be so much more fuflilling, and effective.