Friday, February 29, 2008

Do something for the first time-again!

Do you remember what it was like to do something for the first time? Do you remember what pumping that first tank of gas into your first car was like? I remember paying my first hydro bill 2 years ago when I bought my first house. There is a cool thrill that goes through you when you do something for the first time. I had the amazing privilege of reconnecting with an old family friend last week. As we got caught up on our lives she began to talk about wanting to start writing but not knowing how to go about that. I mentioned Blogging. She started to ask me questions about it and I was telling her about the benefits and the joys of blogging. I told her how nervous I was the first time I pressed "publish post". It got me thinking, how over time, those things that used to give us such a thrill become commonplace and even sometimes drudgery because we do them so much.

When we tap into that feeling again our whole view changes. I am about 80% sure that I will be overseas for 6 months beginning in May or June, and suddenly I am seeing things in my life in a whole different way. I will be living in a self-sustaining environment in the middle east. For security reasons I will not be travelling outside a small area and so I will not likely drive very much. I will be fed in a cafeteria-style location, so I won't be cooking...Things that we take so much for granted I am beginning to see in a whole new light!

More than that though, I have had the most amazing opportunity to disciple a few new Christians. It is so much fun to remember what it was like to be a new Christian. Questions come up like "why is it important that Jesus resurrected?" or "what happens to the babies in Africa who die without hearing the gospel?" These are questions that make you stop and think for a moment. These things that we absorb into our consciousness and sort of forget about. I love hearing them, because it requires me to tap into that foundational information of my faith and it reminds me of the joy of my first love.

Take a moment today and see something you think of mundane, through the eyes of someone who is seeing it for the first time. Remember how it felt on your first day!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

There is NOTHING more than of that feeling the accomplishmentof trying something for the very first time. Cold sweats, worry, anxious, a big grin, giggling and a sense of exhiliration. You know what I mean?? Especially if it was easy or well thought out. Great post Laura, you made me thing of all my firsts and now I'm smiling!!!