Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sorrow

Something is in the air. I have experienced it deeply this year, and thought I was alone, but as I speak to others and check in with the friends who have dropped off the radar, I am seeing a trend. It is a trend toward a depressed experience. Some even are starting meds for clinical depression. I am not sure what is happening, there must be something is the 'air'.


Coming into this year, there was a lot of talk about more... more in God, more success, more love within relationships, yet person after person I speak to has been totally and completely sidelined by physical illness or emotional crisis.


When I take a step back and take a poll, I would say that 90% of my closest friends have been 'out of commission' in some form or another at some point in the last 2 months.


This is a year of breakthrough.... we cannot look at our circumstances with natural eyes, we must ask God to show us the super-natural view of things.


In the moments of sorrow and despair, everything within us wants to be alone, we don't want to reach out. But that is exactly what we must do. Recently, I was overcome with a melancholy that couldn't be explained. After a few days went by and things didn't improve, I realized that I needed to reach out. I needed prayer.


I drafted an email to the leaders that I am in close relationship with. Quickly outlining my challenges and asking for prayer. I wept as I drafted the email, it hurt to see my pain on the black and white page. Not only that, it wasn't easy to admit what I was experiencing, I had to fight the lies of the enemy that would say that these woman don't care... or that they had so many 'better'/more important things to worry about. An interesting thing happened... as soon as I pressed "send" the dark cloud I was feeling immediately lifted. When I say IMMEDIATELY... I mean immdiately.. to the point that I almost recalled the email!


In response to this email, I got so many amazingly encouraging words!!!!! How nice to know that people, in the middle of their busy lives, still have the capacity to reach out to a sister in need.


In this time of year, there are lots of people who are feeling alone, hurting and isolated. If that is you, reach out.... keep your eyes open as well for others who might be feeling lonely

2 comments:

Theresa said...

This post hits so close to home it hurts. We are in a time of trial and breakthrough. Thank you for putting it out there so clearly. It is so important to reach out to others, we would want them to reach out to us if they were hurting. I am really glad that I have found your blog.

Anonymous said...

So glad you had the courage to reach out. Imagine that perhaps the lifting might not have been immediate had you not pressed send. Maybe that was the whole intent - to teach you and others who read your blog that nothing is ever solved or resolved in isolation. We are ONE body. :)