Thursday, February 07, 2008

An idea with a heartbeat ceases to be black and white!

There are many things that as Christians we talk about in very strong terms. Mostly they are issues of sin, and should have a strong stand taken against. Life though is not quite as cut and dry as that. We talk about smoking and addiction as being so horrific, and disgusting, but then someone we know and love begins to struggle with this. Suddenly, there is a hearbeat attached to this idea, suddenly it is not so black and white.

Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord..... except a distant relative comes out of the closet....it has a heartbeat... suddenly not so black and white.


It is very difficult as Christians, when we are faced with situations that we feel so strongly about but that impact people we love. It would be much 'safer', much easier if we could move to a moutaintop and not have to face these things. But God hasn't called us to a mountain top... he has called us to the people all around us, our neighbours. We are called to love them with the love of Christ,


Recently, some people who love me very much and who have my very best interest at heart, have come to the conclusion that they have found an incredible guy that I should get to know. they are so convinced of this fact that they are lobbying others in my life to get on side with them. The problem?... he is not a Christian. These are the type of people who, if I brought a non-Christian that they didn't know and introduced him as someone I was spending time with, there would be reproaches and reminders that we are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers..... yet.... they know this person.... he has a heartbeat... and so things are grey!


I made a decision a number of years ago, that in order to be who God is calling me to be, and to live my life totally passionately on fire with God, I would not marry anyone who is not a Christian, not only that, they have to be at least a mature in the faith as I am. At the time.... this decision was heralded as the best thing I could possibly do.....


Now, however, when I remind these amazing people of my decision, I get some strange responses... "but he can learn to love Jesus".... or "what if you are the person who will bring him to God"...... these responses were so surprising to me, that I began to question my own stand. Then I got cranky!


I am not waivering in this. If this is truly the guy God has for me.... it is HIS job to call him, draw him and equip him to lead us as a couple.... unless that happens.... there is no grey area!! "But he is soo close to being exactly what you want!!" they say! My response?? Have you ever looked at a globe?? Japan and the US look CLOSE.... they are only about 2 inches away.... but in the reality they are worlds apart! Close isn't good enough!


It is a good reminder though... to have grace for people's stuff.... there is a heartbeat attached! Everyone that we love is dealing with issues that would cause us to question our black and white stands on things...

It is, as well, a good reminder that there are some things that I cannot afford to compromise on....

No comments: