Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Am I "Oprah worthy?"

"They're giving up their dreams, their retirement funds, and their comforts to be placed in highly uncomfortable situations--financially, relationally and personally. They're being grown, stretched, emptied out and at times crushed, and then they remember the God who first beckoned them, shake themselves off, get back up and do it again"~ Margaret Feinberg. In her post (April 24th) Margaret is talking about people who are changing the world.



I was thinking just today.... is my life worthy of an Oprah story??


I already know that my life is worth the Blood of Christ, and I am adopted into the eternal lineage of the Almighty-that is not the 'worth' I am talking about.


So often when watching Oprah there is a theme to the stories. Someone has overcome the circumstances of life, and the naysayers around them to pursevere and accomplish the dream that has whispered to them from the time they were children. So often have had to take a major risk and 'step out of the boat' in order to see the dream fulfilled.


Is my life "worthy" of an Oprah show?? Am I doing anything inspiring? Am I fulfilling my highest potential???


Right now, that answer is a resounding NO. The next question needs to be... what do I need to be pursuing in order to change those no's to yes's?

I suppose the one thing I can do right now is to remember that pursuing those whispered dreams means risk, it means discomfort, it means taking a leap of faith and having to rely on the promises of God. It could even mean "...be[ing] placed in highly uncomfortable situations--financially, relationally and personally...being grown, stretched, emptied out and at times crushed, and then... remember[ing] the God who first beckoned [me], shake [myself] off, get back up and do it again".

Look out below, I think that I am almost ready to jump!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, do a thing or two that get international recognition (not to diminish their accomplishments) OR spend a life time serving in the tiny, small insignificant things - to or invisible to the "world" and get eternal recognition! I think you're life is worthy of being lived out to be seen by everyone who needs a bit of light and salt for flavour and I think being YOU is just the way to do it and that why He made you exactly the way YOU are. Love You!

Laura said...

Hi Laura!

I am still quite shocked that I actually got tickets! And yes I am driving both ways on Monday, crazy I know, considering I work at 8am Tuesday morning! Thanks for the offer of a place to stay though!

Anonymous said...

You will have a story Laura

Donna said...

Im diving in Im going deep in over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush lost in the flow in over my head I want to go
The rivers deep the rivers wide the rivers water is alive
So sink or swim Im diving in (Steven Curtis Chapman)

As the Body lets dive in!