Sunday, May 13, 2007

Maximum Impact

On Friday, I had the amazing privilege to attend the Maximum Impact seminars at the Life Centre. They are a simulcast with some of the most amazing business leaders around!

John Maxwell, Tim Sanders, Mark Sandborn, Coach Hermann Boone (Remember the Titans is his life story), and many others. What I got out of it could fill volumes! It was absolutely awesome. God is so aware of the timing of situations in our lives. It was clear that He was priming me before this event so that as I was sitting there listening to the speakers, it felt like the whole event had been orchestrated just for me!!

The very first speaker, Mark Sandborn, told a story about when he went Bungee jumping. He jumped and had a great time. The lady behind him, however, was more hesitant. He said that after a time, he noticed the men at the top of the bridge speaking to the woman, and eventually she jumped.

After they unhooked the woman and brought her to the shore, Mark said he asked her what the men said that made her decide to jump. What he said next, captured my attention. Essentially, what they told her was to not think about how she felt on the ledge, or about the first step off, rather to think about how she would feel after she had jumped. More importantly, though, they asked her to think about how she would feel every day for the rest of her life if she DIDN'T jump.

In that moment, I had a flash of so many moments when I didn't jump. Lost opportunites, poor choices, forgotten hopes and dreams. I cannot pin point the reasons I didn't jump in those moments, just that something held me back. All I could think of was how I felt in the moment. I was only focussed on the ledge.

But God calls us to more. God has higher plans, and we can never fulfill them standing on a ledge fearful about the next step.

Just this nugget has opened my eyes to the possibilities before me, and I know that everytime I take the risk and remind myself of the payoff, that God will be faithful to complete the work He has started in me.

Stay tuned for more from Maximum impact, and just JUMP!!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Oh Laura I trust God way more that a bungee cord. Those things can break you know but God is eternal and never changing. I am so glad you went to the Max. impact. It sounded great. I was crying tears of joy when Pastor Joyce was speaking into your life today. It was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

We were so blessed to have had the opportunity to host the event. I actually have people in my office interested in attending next year! And I have to concur with Donna. You are a blessing to so many people because you touch everyone in some way. You're an inspiration!