Friday, May 18, 2007

Lions in the Grass



I just finished a really great book! It is called IN A PIT WITH A LION ON A SNOWY DAY by Mark Batterson.
It is all about opportunities that come along.
The central idea is based on a character in scripture who, in a single moment, choose to chase a lion into a pit on a snowy day. While that whole scenario seems like a really really bad idea, he persevered and killed it. From there, God brought him alongside David, and eventually he lead the army of Isreal in their fight against the Moabites, and they won. This book is written by a church planter- someone who knows about takng on a 500 pound opportuity that has potential to harm!

One of his biggest points in the book is:

God is constantly conspiring to bring you to the place of your destiny.

So many people miss opportunities, because often it "is hiding right now in your biggest problem, your worst failure.... your greatest fear"


I took a lot away from the book. Primarily it reminded me of how BIG God is, and that so often I have allowed my fears of circumstances distract me from the Truth of God's ability to work ALL things together for good. If we truly see God as He is, NOTHING would phase us.

I have been hearing the Lion's footsteps in the undergrowth, glimpses of that amber fur which is equal parts awe-inspiring and terrifying. I will admit that in this season, I have ventured beyond the walls of safety that surround my home and I am seeking out some adventure, so really, starting to see the Lion is not that surprising~ but it can be just a scary!!


When you are out beyond your comfort zone, every noise causes you to stop and reassess: do I have the tools I need? Do I have the plan in place? What on earth am I doing? But all in all, God is whispering to me: "How will you feel if you DON'T?" He reminds me that He is the author and finisher of my faith, that He is working all things together for good, but most of all that HE is the Lion of Judah!!! I am safe in His presence, even when what He is asking me to do is scary and risky and.... exhilerating!!!!

This is a season of change. I can feel it in the air. Something is stirring in me to move, to position myself in a potentially scary place right in the centre of God's will for me. It is taking all of my trust and faith in the Lord, to even think about what is next for me, because the dreams are too big to me to fathom the sight of them coming to fulfillment.

Keep watching the peripheral areas of your life, maybe, just maybe, a Lion lurks there waiting for you too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura, you're so right. Fear motivates us to stand still while the lion stares us down. It is scarey. The biggest adventure for me is the actual first step - there's my thrill. Each time I ask "what took me so long". I can hear Jesus chuckling and saying, "don't worry, it didn't take you as long as the last time."