Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Purpose

Many people have asked me what the best part about my time overseas was. I would have to say the sense of purpose. The camp that I lived at was very large, yet had no unemployment. No one is there without a purpose or a job. Everyone knows their job and role and how that impacts the whole mandate. It was truly a practical example of the way a body works. I had one job, and if I did my job well, others would have what they needed to do their job well. It is amazing how a sense of purpose raises the whole feel of an environment.
People walk taller, they speak with authority, there are none who are higher or lower and none who are mooching off the others. When you meet someone here in Canada and you ask them what they do for a living, we often use that to judge their value or worth. But in an environment where all have purpose and all are doing their job, when you ask someone what they do, it serves to show you one more piece of the overall puzzle.
The Bible talks about vision and purpose, and how without a vision the people perish-Proverbs 16:4 The LORD has made everything for its purpose,even the wicked for the day of trouble. And I have found it to be true that it is life-giving to have a purpose. Some people feel like they have no purpose...
Exodus 9:16 But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.
So rise up and take your purpose. Our pastor said on Sunday, if you are looking for your calling you don't need to.... we are all called to proclaim Christ, the difference for each person is in the HOW. What is your "How?" How has God uniquely equipped you for His service?

No comments: