Sunday, July 08, 2007

Building Bridges

It is amazing how quickly someone can move from "someone you know" to "friend" to maybe even "family". My brother has been dating a great lady for about 4 years. He have had family dinners with her and marked special occasions with her, but up until now she was "the girl my brother is dating". My brother lives a life that is so different from my own, his interests, his circle of friends, the area of the city and his work, none of them interconnect with mine. In fact, if we weren't related by blood there is a possibility that we might NEVER have met. It is strange that 2 related people can share a common heritage but be so different. In light of this fact, naturally there has not been a lot of opportunity to get to know his girlfriend outside of the Christmas and Easter... these occasions do not a family make!

Recently, though we have had a few opportunities to hang out together... She came with me to Canada Day at my parents' without my brother and we had a great time. Yesterday, we had a baby shower for her-I am going to be an Auntie! Then today, we are celebrating my mother's birthday, she is going to join us.

It has always been my prayer to have a good relationship with her, and now, this baby has really brought us together.

In a few short weeks she has moved - in my mind- from the woman my brother is dating, to my SISTER-IN-LAW!!! God is so good that he is using this baby to give us a bridge to reach out to one another and become truly a family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babies truly are a gift from God. We're not only blessed by the child him/herself but also are hearts melt all the more to make us open to receive others the way we receive the child. Good on ya' Auntie Laura!

Donna said...

Auntie Laura Yay.