Sunday, November 12, 2006

In Rememberence




This is typical of images we see all over the news at this time of year. Rememberance day is one of those days that makes me look back, but then I suppose that is the point!

I am always fascinated by the faces of those who have been at war. Because of the age of many veterans, I try and figure out what they have seen in thier lives. When they were born it was likely the great depression, not everyone had a phone or even electricity. Newfoundland wasn't part of the country yet, the flag was different. None of the major events that have shaped our world had occurred yet. These men and women remember a time before Air Travel, before TV, before you went to the store to buy your milk. They recall a day when almost everyone went to church, as kids they would have sung God save the King and prayed the Lord's Prayer. Children were safe to play in the streets while mothers gathered for tea on someone's porch.

I think of all of the advances around them and I often wonder if we are better off. Better off with our iPods, and our Space Travel. Better off with the opportunity to have 'friends' arond the world while we ignore the people in our own homes.

We have so much because brave men an women throughout our history.

Last week, I was waiting in Line for lunch, and in front of me were two men in Uniform. They were a part of our forces. As I stood there, everything within me wanted to just tap them on the shoulder and say "Thank You". I felt a little silly, and I also had to swallow hard to keep the tears at bay. I wish I could tell you that I did it, but I didn't and they walked away not knowing how I felt.

This is my THANK YOU card to all of those who have and are serving. We DO thank you, appreciate you, and we know that everyday you make sacrifices. Even when you are not overseas or in danger, you carry the weight of the defense of our nation on your shoulders. Whatever we might say about our agreement or disagreement with the politics of where you fight, know that we support YOU the people.

Thank YOU!!!

No comments: