Thursday, September 08, 2011

The Other Side of the Story

Living in an environment where I am surrounded by people from different nations and job descriptions so many of my pre-conceived notions have been challenged. I have been reminded over and over that my persepctive is not the only one. And in that realization I have also been shown in new ways the negative effects that our actions can have on others without even realizing it.

We have a tendancy in our western philosophy to see things the way we see them and not scratch beneath the surface, but spend time discussing world history with someone from Russia, or Belgium or the UK, and you realize that what we think of as 'ancient' history (1-200 years) is recent memory to others. I have a friend who lives in a home that was built before Canadian Confederation and it itsn't even an historically protected home because it is too "NEW".

So in the midst of shattered paradigms I have begun to listen more intently to the other side of stories.

I know why I choose not to be in relationships with non-Christians, and I understand the motivations that lead me on that path, and yet, to hear from a man who has fallen deeply in love with a Christian woman for as much as she would let him, only to be devastated by the realization that his not being a Christian disqualified him from her love.... and then to hear him express the concern that perhaps this was a reflection of how God would treat him....

And my heart shattered along with my safe thinking about this topic.

Recently, I was out with a male friend. Although tall, and handsome, his body type is not the Big Beefy 'normal' that exists in my workplace. That type which says don't mess with me on my way to the gym.......I call them the Beefys. We came across a group of the Beefys and stopped to chat. As we walked away, my friend expressed how sometimes being around those Beefys gives him a complex, and how it makes him feel like abandoning all assurances of his worth in Christ.

And My heart shattered.

Here is the reality.... Ladies... who doesn't like the idea of a big beefy man next to you, looking like he could take on the world on your behalf? These Beefys that we encountered also tend to be "A-Type" personalities.... so likely as not to have a funny story or a veiled reference to something that they aren't supposed to talk about.... and I am putty in their hands.....

Yes, I admit it, when they come around I tend to twitter and giggle just like the other girls, because frankly I have a bit of a complex that guys this "cool" would never normally be my friend!

And Yet... as we walked away and I heard my dear friend express his insecurityin the face of the Beefys.. I realized something...

I would trade the chance to be friends with all the Beefys in the universe and feel like I look cool.... for this friend of mine who has proven to be kind, gentle, generous in sprit and wealth. He is constant and polite, caring and LOVES Jesus.

There were no words to say in that moment. Everything that I could think of simply felt like empty words in the face of my interaction with the Beefys. Actions speak louder than words...

I realized tonight that with everything there is another side of the story. I want to be more aware of the people around me and the way that my actions reflect the love of God to them.

No comments: