Saturday, January 12, 2008

Oh what a night!!!

There is so much that is amazing about living in community with one another. Recently, I have been taking a group of single women in our church through a study of a book called “Lady-In-Waiting”. It is an amazing book wrapped in the principles of the story of Ruth. It’s focus is on becoming the woman that God wants us to be. As we shared together, grew together and even cried a little together, it was so amazing to see the relationships that came about from this experience. Between 2 events, our entire group spent New Year’s together-what a special treasure to have friends that you can celebrate with.

We wrapped up our time together with a night of Blessing. We invited some amazing “Titus 2” women who would pray and pour into the women. As a group, we were awestruck at the goodness of God, that He would speak to each of the women in such a personal and loving way.

A very unexpected thing came about as a result of this evening. As we were listening to what God would say to each woman, I realized how much I knew about each of the womens’ longings, and desires, and their relationship with God. This is significant because, for the most part, I have known these ladies less than 1 year, yet, I was able to, as they were being spoken to, acknowledge how ‘on’ each word was. What an amazing thing. It made me realize, once again, that longevity doesn’t always equal intimacy, there are people that I have known for years, yet wouldn’t have been able to say the same things!

This is what comes from “doing life together”. There is a quote that says “A friend is someone who you have fun with no matter the activity, but an acquaintance requires an event.”

This is so true, I have friends who I could sit with in an empty room for a couple of hours and say “that was fun”! It is all about Who they are not what we are doing together! I am so happy to have found more ‘friends’! I love it!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

It's easy to be a friend when the other friend is you!

Heidi said...

You got me pumped up for Lifegroups tonight!!! I can't wait to teach. Although my topic is alot different, but I'm going in with heart like you did. I love this quote. I hope I can borrow Laura..
“A friend is someone who you have fun with no matter the activity, but an acquaintance requires an event.”

I needed something to wrap up a post later this week. Thanks!!

Love ya and welcome back!!!