Sunday, June 28, 2009

Why I Love Canada

There are so many things that are going on in our world right now that can cause people to look at Canada as a challenging place to be. There is so much that is wrong with the way our society works, but it is still (in my opinion) the best place in the world to live. I have, as a result of my experiences this year, some insight into how those around the world live, and they compared to almost anywhere else, our amazing country rises above the others.

Here are some of the reasons that I love Canada
1) It was founded upon the principle that people can come to agreement without bloodshed
2) I love that I can vote in elections without fear of intimidation, discrimination, or corruption
3) I love that there is diversity of landscape, weather and cultures
4) I love that no matter where you go in the world, Canadians are respected
5) I love that we are wiling and able to come to the aid of others who are less free. Whether leading peacekeeping missions or combat missions, we effectively use our resources to give to those who need our help
6) I love that as a woman, there are no limitations on my dreams and aspirations
7) I love that whether I agree with you or not, you have the right to spout whatever ignorant, uninformed beliefs that you have.
8) I love that from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Hockey and Tim Horton’s binds us together! And I love that we have exported both to the mission in Afghanistan!
9) I love that a Canadian passport implies “friend” not enemy
10) I love that other nations smile indulgently at our collective naivety in some areas because we have never experienced some of the horrors of things like civil war, deep atrocities, war within our boarders and apartheid.
11) I love that the children in my life are almost guaranteed to never experience starvation, illiteracy, war in their street, or persecution.
12) I love that Canada is not always easy to love, but that she engenders a passionate response in so many people, passionate responses means that people are engaged. Even if it just enough to complain about the weather!


Happy Birthday Canada!

No comments: